When decorating office premises, a number of requirements are often applied, since curtains affect the interior and can distract employees from work. Also, curtains are directly necessary for shading the room and, depending on the fabric chosen, can have different effects on the lighting of the room. In this article we will determine which curtains are best suited for an office and how they affect the lighting of the room.
Recommendations for choosing curtains for the office
Curtains affect not only the lighting, but also indirectly the temperature inside, because if the furniture does not heat up, the room will be a little cooler in the summer. Curtains also perform other tasks, namely:
- Prevents furniture from fading;
- Protect monitors from glare and equipment from heat;
- Protect from direct sunlight;
- They are an element of interior decoration.
There are several simple rules when choosing curtains for the office:
- Light or neutral shades should be used; they will not distract from work or irritate with intrusive colors. It is better to avoid bright and harsh colors, as this may not be to everyone’s taste. Dark curtains, due to their color, will visually darken the room, even if the fabrics are from the same series; darker options will seem more effective due to the color.
- Practicality of fabrics. In the office it is not always possible to take care of the curtains, so it is worth choosing more durable fabrics that require a minimum of care so that the curtains remain in their original form for as long as possible. Standard curtain fabrics partially transmit sunlight; they can be safely used on both the sunny and shaded sides. In the sun, the fabric will stop direct sunlight, and in the shade it will allow light to enter the room even with the curtains closed; this is a universal combination that is well suited for any room.
- You will rarely see bulky curtains in offices because they require a lot of care and do not always suit the interior; they are more of a home decoration than an office option. Therefore, it is worth giving preference to practicality over design. Even budget roller blinds will have fabric with antistatic and dust-repellent impregnation; such fabrics do not accumulate dust and are easy to clean if necessary.
Office curtain options
For the design of offices and conference rooms, it is better to choose systems that, if necessary, can easily be lifted and clear the windows. Vertical or horizontal blinds, as well as roller blinds, are recommended. They will fit organically into the interior and do not require serious care for the fabric, which is superior to other analogues.
Horizontal aluminum blinds
Suitable for small windows with wooden, aluminum or plastic frames. Due to the compactness of the system, such products are installed directly on the sash, which leaves the window sill free. You can adjust the degree of illumination by turning the slats; this design maintains privacy and does not require fully opening the window to adjust the lighting. Plastic lamellas are used extremely rarely as they are much inferior to aluminum ones.
A good choice for office curtains. They are suitable for openings of any size and can even cover façade glazing. Regardless of the type of frame, such curtains can even be installed in the ceiling, so they can easily cover windows of any shape. Roller blinds do not require constant maintenance; when cleaning, just wipe the fabric with a damp sponge and that will be enough. Roller blinds also do not cover the window sill (depending on the installation option) and also retain their shape even in strong winds. The main advantage of fabric roller blinds is the wide range of fabrics, which includes many light colors ideal for the office. Also, fabrics from the screen series are well suited for the office; this is a special type of PVC fabric that is visible from one side; such fabrics allow you to see what is happening on the street but maintain privacy from everyone who is outside.
Let's compare the practicality of curtains and blinds
Design: The fabric is wound onto a shaft and controlled by a self-locking mechanism. They can also be closed with an aluminum box with guides.
Installation: Installation using self-tapping screws is recommended; the brackets are screwed to the window frame and hold the shaft with the fabric.
Main function: Sun protection and room decoration. The fabric is a light filter that partially colors the room in the chosen color; the curtain also scatters the sun's rays, making the lighting softer and less intrusive.
Material: Fabrics made from 100% polyester are often used; they do not fade in the sun and are easy to care for. There are also fabrics with a rubberized base (blackout) for 100% sun protection.
Design: The system is compact and does not stand out from the interior. Also, if necessary, there are systems with popular window colors, white, brown, walnut, golden oak, mahogany.
Design: Blinds can be either vertical with fabric slats or horizontal with aluminum slats, each of these options is used depending on the size of the opening and the design of the room. Vertical blinds are well suited for installation on large openings, while horizontal blinds are more suitable for standard-sized sashes.
Installation: Depending on the product, they can be mounted in any plane, on sashes, openings, inside openings and on the ceiling.
Main function: protection from light; blinds are not so effective in decorating a room due to the small number of shades of slats. White slats are often used to achieve a classic appearance.
Material: Aluminum cornice, slats either aluminum or polyester depending on the blind option.
Design: Vertical blinds can be multi-textured with different lengths of slats in the form of arches or any other shape. Aluminum blinds have many shades of slats, but white ones are often used.
There are many options for sun protection for an office, and they are selected based on the size of the room, interior decoration and age of employees. Often, offices with a young team can easily embrace bright colors. Older adults often prefer calm, light curtains or shades of gray. Roller blinds can cover the requirements of any office, but blinds should be chosen based on the size of the windows, as there are options.